He participated in the project on architectural and environmental heritage (“Archivio dello Spazio”, 1987-1997) of the Province of Milan and, since 1982, has exhibited his works in numerous public and private spaces both in Italy and abroad. He has published more than a dozen monographic volumes and his works are kept in various collections. As a scholar of photography and lecturer he has always collaborated with numerous magazines and currently directs the magazine “Fotografia e (è) Cultura”.
Church of Santa Maria Maddalena, Uggiano La Chiesa (LE), Italy, second half of the 18th century
The current church was built in the second half of the 18th century on the same site where the previous ones stood, as it has been rebuilt several times. The construction of the mother church is a mixture of history and legend. It is said that the famous doctor Celestino Cominale was called by the King of Naples, Ferdinand I of Bourbon, to treat his seriously ill daughter. Once healed, the King undertook to fulfil any wish of the eminent luminary. Cominale wanted the population of Uggiano to benefit from the generosity of the king with the construction of the new church, larger than the existing one.
The façade, in Baroque style, was completed in 1775.
Church of Santa Maria Maddalena, Uggiano La Chiesa, DZE project, 2015
DZ Engineering was responsible for correctly illuminating all the internal volumes of the Church and enhancing the oil paintings on canvas dedicated to the Saint, including the impressive work Simone’s Dinner, all displayed on the walls of the central nave.
To implement the project, the company used LED technology projectors, with a colour temperature of 3000K, while for the canvases it installed special made-to-measure shaping projectors to limit glare and reflections.
Crypt of the Cathedral, Otranto (LE), Italy, 11th century
The crypt, which runs below the apse, the presbytery and part of the hall, dates back to the 11th century and is a miniature version of the famous Cistern of Theodosius in the Mosque of Cordoba. It is located in the cathedral of Santa Maria Annunziata, the most important Catholic place of worship in the city of Otranto, the mother church of the archdiocese of the same name. In July 1945 Pope Pius XII raised the status of the cathedral to that of a minor Basilica.
Crypt of the Cathedral, Otranto, DZE project, 2014
The lighting in the place of worship was created by DZ Engineering using very small adjustable and made-to-measure LED projectors, installed at the base of the capitals of the crypt. The light produced is predominantly indirect, to emphasize the elements of artistic value and the liturgical ones. The patented DigiLux VM 3000® proprietary management system was also installed, essential for adapting the lighting to the various moments of the day, from liturgical celebrations to prayer vigils to sightseeing.